It is summer and that means outdoor play! Getting children outside increases physical activity, encourages social interactions, and can even promote sleep. And until children are vaccinated, being outdoors is a safer choice to protect against COVID-19.
Here are some great resources to help you understand why outdoor play and learning is important and ways you can promote engagement with nature.
NAEYC | Why Outdoor Play is Essential for Health Development
American Academy of Pediatrics | The Power of Play
Training, Tools, and Tips
We are excited to offer a new health and wellness symposium for early childhood professionals. The symposium includes professional development on early childhood oral health, social and emotional well-being, obesity prevention, and quality outdoor environments. Some of the sessions have breakouts specific to those of you working with infant-toddler or preschool age children.
Early Childhood Day of Wellness
August 28 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Pueblo Community College
Get a Certified Playground Safety Inspection and earn points in Colorado Shines! Learn more
Schedule our Creating Quality Outdoor Learning Environments training! This 2-hour training can be offered in-person or virtually.
- Family Engagement | Colorado’s Early Childhood Heath Outdoors | Nature Play at Home
- COVID-19 | The Centers for Disease Control has guidance for outdoor activities here
- COVID-19 | Child Care Aware of America Blog | Outdoor Play in a Pandemic
- Best Practices | Caring for Our Children | Health Promotion in Child Care
- Best Practices | Caring for Our Children | Sun Safety